Monday, February 15, 2010

Save the Tasmanian Devil?

I know almost nothing about Tasmanian Devils and their troubles. Still, I thought the story was worth mentioning. According to this Los Angeles Times report, they've been having a pretty rough time of it the past decade.
The facial cancers that are devastating populations of Tasmanian devils in Australia are a nerve tumor that escaped its original host and became a parasite of the cultural icon, passing from one devil to the next by bites when the animals are fighting or mating, researchers reported Thursday.
Ouch.

So, flash poll: Are they as cool as they seem to me, or are they really a bane down under? (Or, up top, if you insist I avoid 'geo-chauvinism'.)



Based on the photo, I'd go with "worth saving" (solely by private donations, of course).

No comments: