Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Danish Workers Strike Over Beer Ban

More interesting news from Denmark, my now-favorite European country.

According to the Copenhagen Post,
Brewery Workers Strike Over Beer Ban

Health expert calls it ‘absurd’ that Carlsberg warehouse workers are striking over fewer bottled beers in the refrigerators.

Warehouse workers at Danish brewing giant Carlsberg are striking because management has decided that the employees may no longer have their customary three free bottled beers a day at the workplace, reports Business.dk.

Carlsberg has implemented a new workplace alcohol policy that now limits employees to one bottle of beer a day at lunchtime.
If they keep that up, I may actually become sympathetic to unions. It seems eminently more sensible to me than getting riled over retirement benefits. I mean, life is uncertain, so making sure you've got your daily free beer strikes me as much more rational than whether you'll have sufficient funds in old age.

Maybe the Left is onto something after all when they claim that in many ways America lags Europe.

1 comment:

TheWayfarer said...

I've long argued that beer should be served at work...As stress medication, and I'd even do the Libertarian thing and pay for my own.
Even one would be better than the current American limit of none!